Electronic databases come very handy for searching vast data within a shortest possible time. There are good number of such databases are available on the internet today, which can be accessed free of cost. Please follow the links to get further information.
- INDMED: Index to Indian Biomedical Journals the ICMR-NIC Centre for Biomedical Information (Indian MEDLARS Centre) has designed and developed a bibliographic database from Indian biomedical literature. To startwith 75 prominent Indian journals, have been selected to build up the database entitled IndMED. The coverage of database is from 1985.
- ISID Index to Indian Social Socience Journals indexes around 125+ Indian Social Science journals
enabling users to search for references on the basis of string (series of characters) either for author's
name, or words in titles for selected journals. Most of the journals are indexed from the first volume.
Also indexes press clippings taken out from 14 India's English dailies. Access is free with simple
registration. [Click on Databases to go to login page]
- National Law School Library Article Index indexes articles from the journals subscribed by National Law School Library, Bangalore. At present it is having around 11,000 records in its database.
- Open Index Initiative indexes Indian Social Science Journals. Presently has more than 65000+ entries of journal articles. Unique
speciality of this database is, it links bibligraphical records with Union Catalogue of Journal holdings available in major Indian
Social Science libraries.
- AgEcon search collects, indexes, and electronically distributes full text copies of scholarly research in the broadly defined field of agricultural economics including sub disciplines such as agribusiness, food supply, natural resource economics, environmental economics, policy issues, agricultural trade, and economic development.
- Agricultural Online Access (Agricola) is an index to all aspects of agricultural sciences.
- International Information System for the Agricultural Sciences and Technology [AGRIS] provides worldwide bibliographic coverage of agricultural science and technology literature. Developed by the AGRIS Co-ordinating Centre, the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations, AGRIS offers an international perspective on crucial agricultural research. The database coverage is from 1975 till present.
- Annual Comprehensive Index Bibliographic Database has approximately 38,818 bibliographic entries. The entries for the period 1976 to 1987 come from INFORMS journals, while for the period 1988 to 2001 they come from a total of approximately 663 different INFORMS as well as non-INFORMS journals. The subjects include operations research, management, computing etc.
- Anthropological Index Online is an Anthropological Index to Current Periodicals in the the Anthropology Library at the British Museum.
- American Chemical Society Free search Database gives access to ACS journals' full text, images, illustrations, halftones, structures, figures and supporting information.
- Cancerlit is a bibliographic database that contains more than 1.8 million citations and abstracts from over 4,000 different sources including biomedical journals, proceedings, books, reports, and doctoral theses. The database contains references to cancer literature published from the 1960s.
- ChildNet Bibliographical Database (Global)
contains an ever growing number of screened bibliographical citations on child-related issues.
- CIRRIE Database of International Rehabilitation Research
contains citations relating to rehabilitation research conducted outside of the United States. The database is updated monthly. It presently includes citations from 1996 to the present and will eventually include citations from 1990
to the present.
- Current Cites provides an annotated bibliography of selected articles, books and documents on Information Technology.
- Current Index to Statistics is a bibliographic index to publications in statistics and related fields. The CIS Extended Database (CIS-ED) includes coverage, in most cases from 1974. The free access is available only to the records up to 1994.
- EEVL Xtra find articles, key websites, books, the latest industry news, job announcements, ejournals, eprints, technical reports, the latest research in Engineering, Mathematics, and Computing.
- Elsevier Health Science Periodicals is a portal of Elsevier Health Science periodicals. Here one can search contents of their health science peridicals plus MEDLINE.
- Energy Citations Database contains bibliographic records for energy and energy-related scientific and technical information from the Department of Energy and its predecessor agencies, the Energy Research and Development Administration (ERDA) and the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC)of USA. The Database provides access to DOE publicly available citations from 1948 through the present.
- ERIC database is the world's largest source of education information, with more than 1 million abstracts of documents and journal articles on education research and practice. The data is available from 1966 onwards.
- Getcited.org is an online, member-controlled academic database, directory and discussion forum. Its contents are entered and edited by members of the academic community.
- Hazordous Chemical Database will allow the user to retreive information for any of 3995 hazardous chemicals or 'generic' entries based on a keyword search. Potential keywords include names, formula and registry numbers (CAS, DOT, RTECS and EPA).
- Index Translationum: International
bibliography of translations is a list of books translated in the world and this was created in 1932.
- Infotrieve Online Article Finder
gives access to bibliographic details with abstract on Science and technology. The data coverage is from 1966 to present from over 30000 journals.
- Ingenta Connect offers access to article summaries from over 25,000 publications linked to the full text of over 5,200 titles. Full text access is set by each of our 170 publisher partners, but typically individual subscribers, or individuals within institutions that subscribe, can access the full text of their publications for free. Non-subscribers can, for the majority of articles, pay-per-view choosing from electronic, fax or Ariel delivery.
- Institute of Physics Journals search is a search for articles appeared in all the journals published by Institute of Physics can be made. The coverage of database is from 1874 till date. Full text access to current articles is available for registered members at free of cost. Full text articles
articles are available in the first 30 days of publication.
- Intellectual Property Digital Library provides access to various intellectual property data collections currently hosted by the World Intellectual Property Organization. These collections include Madrid, PCT and JOPAL (non-patent reference) data and support fully searchable information retrieval and display by users on demand. The access is free of cost by user name and password as guest.
- MatWeb the FREE materials information database with data on 24,704 materials including metals, plastics, ceramics, and composites.
- NASA Technical Reports Server [NTRS] database contains bibliographic citations and abstracts for publicly available aerospace documents, journal articles, and conference proceedings.
- National Library of Medicine Databases [NLM]
provides a wide variety of resources related to the biomedical and health sciences, both past and present. Some important such resources are MEDLINE, Toxnet, Biomedical information, Clinical alerts, etc.
- Peeters Online Journals allows all users to conduct searches, view tables of contents, and view abstracts for all online journals in theology, classics, oriental studies, archaeology, philosophy, literature and linguistics. Full text is restricted only to subscribers or pay per view facility may be used.
- Population Index presents an annotated bibliography of recently published books, journal articles, working papers, and other materials on population topics. The coverage is from 1986-2000, containing total of 46,035 citations.
- Project Euclid is a user-centered initiative to
create an environment for the effective and affordable distribution of serial literature in mathematics and statistics. Search can be made on contents of 38 journals.
- PsycARTICLES is an online database containing more than 26,000 entries from 49 peer reviewed journals published by APA and allied organizations from 1988 to the present. Full text articles covered in it are available for price.
- Questia: Online library of Books and Journals holds an over 45,000 books and 360,000 journal, magazine, and newspaper articles. Search for this database is free, however access to full text of the documents is priced.
- Research Index is a scientific literature digital library that aims to improve the dissemination and feedback of scientific literature. Includes over 400000 documents and over 5 million citations.
- Social Psychology Network is a database providing links to more than 12,000 resources related to psychology.
- Social Science Research Network e-library contains over 34,400 abstracts for papers submitted to SSRN. Also gives access to few full text articles.
- Transportation Research Database
provides access to bibliographic records covering transportation research published in books, journal articles, technical reports and other media. Literature covered from 1960 to present. Also selected links to full text or sources of full text have been given.
- TRIP Database started in 1997 provides search facility with a focus on medical articles considered evidence-based.
- Economic History Encyclopedia Index here search can be made for high quality full articles related the area of Economic and Business History.
- Scientific Electronic Library Online [SCIELO]
is a model for cooperative electronic publishing of scientific journals on the Internet. Especially conceived to meet the scientific communication needs of developing countries, particularly Latin America and the Caribbean countries, it provides an efficient way to assure universal visibility and accessibility to their scientific literature, contributing to
overcome the phenomena known as "lost science".
- Searchable Ornithological Research Archive [SORA] is an open access electronic journal archive. The content can be downloaded as pdf or djvu files.
Data Sources Collections
- International Statistical Data Sources
- Selected Internet Resources for Statistics in the Social Sciences
- Social Science Data Lab
- Social Science Data Archives on the net
- Social Science Data Directories and Data Archives
- Sociosite: Social Science Data Archives
- Statistical Data Sources on the web: Economics
- Statistics for the Social Sciences
- Yale Social Science Data Archive: STATCAT
- Census Information provides statistics of All India population
totals as per the Census 1991 and Census 2001, India and State maps, etc.
- Database on Indian Economy covers data on financial sector, real sector, financial market, external sector, public finance and corporate finance related
to Indian economy. This has been developed by RBI.
- Department of Statistics, Govt of India, Broad statistical information like national accounts statistics, energy statistics, consumer expenditure, annual survey of industries, live stock statistics, etc. can be found here. Most of these statistics is brought out by its agencies Central Statistical Organisation and National Sample Organisation.
- Economywatch.com is a commercial site provides information and data on Indian economy. The data type available on this site include statistics related to national income, foreign investment, agriculture, industry, money and banking, balance of payments, population etc.
- Reserve Bank of India provides free of cost online access and download
to vast amount of data related to banks and banking in India.
- Asian Development Bank gives access to social and economic data of its developing member countries. The type of data includes national accounts, financial accounts, trade, population, labour and employment etc.
- Demographic and Health Surveys [DHS] datasets are available for most countries. The datasets include individual women's data, household data, men and husband's data, couple's data, children data and service availability/facility, etc.
- Eurostat provides latest and the most complete statistical information on the EU and the zero-zone. The topics include general statistics, economy and finance, population and social conditions, industry, trade and services, agriculture and fisheries, etc. But only the key indicators are available for free of cost.
- FAOstat is an on-line and multilingual databases currently containing over one million time-series records covering international statistics in the areas of production, trade, food balance sheets, fertilizer and pesticides, land use and irrigation, forest products, fishery products etc. At a time, maximum 1000 records on any topic of different combinations can be downloaded from their site free of cost.
- Global Statistics deals with statistics on the human population. The main kind of data you can find here is on the population of regions, countries, provinces and cities. Next to that there are some statistics on economic factors like wealth, infrastructure, etc.
- Indian District Database provides district-level data from census and agricultural sources between 1961 and 1991.
- Infonation is an easy-to-use, two-step database that allows you to view and compare the most up-to-date statistical data for the Member States of the United Nations.
- International Database (IDB) is a computerized data bank containing statistical tables of demographic and socioeconomic data for 227 countries and areas of the world.
- International Labour Office [ILO] LABORSTA on labour statistics covering economically active population (data since 1945) employment, unemployment, hours of work, wages, labour cost, consumer prices, occupational injuries, occupational accidents, and strikes and lockouts (data since 1969) of different countries of the world. Also gives access to one more database, which contain data on 'Economically Active Population, 1950-2010' of different countries of the world.
- Nationmaster is a central data source and a handy way to graphically compare nations. NationMaster is a vast compilation of data from such sources as the CIA World Factbook, United Nations, World Health Organization, World Bank, World Resources Institute, UNESCO, UNICEF and OECD.
- Penn World Data provides online access statistics covering 28 key variables on all the major world economies, from 1950 to 1998.
- Times Series Data Library is a collection of about 800 time series, drawn from many different fields viz. Agriculture, Crime, Finance, Health, Labor market, Macroeconomics, Production, etc.
- UK National Statistics provides access to a comprehensive set
of key statistics drawn from the whole range of official United Kingdom government data sets.
Topics covered include population, income, balance of payments, birth and death rates, consumer expenditure, marriage and divorce rates, economic activity, employment and unemployment, education and training, etc.
- UNESCO gives access to its data sources on
education, literacy, science and technology and culture and communication of different countries of the world.
- UN Data provides access to data on different countries. Its data sources include social indicators, population statistics, and monthly bulletin of statistics.
- USA and Canada Trade Data Online
provides access and the ability to generate customized reports on Canada's and U.S. trade with over 200 countries. The data types include imports, exports, trade balances by product and industry.
- Global Education Online Database is a web-based resource for the evaluation of foreign educational credentials. Ultimately every educational system in the world will be included as an EDGE profile. The database currently includes 232 country profiles, and is being expanded regularly and updated as educational systems change.
- World Bank provides national statistics for countries and regions and country profiles of all its member countries pertaining to the aspects of agriculture, education, environment, finance, health, population, urban and social development etc.
- World Crime Statistics here United Nations World Crime Surveys of Crime Trends and Criminal Justice data sets are available. Data is available in ASCII, Lotus 123, and SPSS formats.
- World Health Organization [WHO] provides access statistics from its statistical system 'Whois'. The data types can be accessed from their databases are on mortality, basic health indicators, HIV/AIDS, statistical data from world health report, population etc.
- World Trade Organization [WTO] provides online access to many of its data sources, which include international trade statistics, annual reports and trade policy reviews.